3.2 Evaluation of the Internship Process
(with the team)
(if possible with the coordinator/ tutor of the sending/receiving partner)
You map out, possibly with colleagues, the trainees and the internship tutor, what (competences) they learned during the training period, and what the possible improvements in the internship process are.
You judge the quality, evaluate whether the internship was worth doing (if there was any added value) and write a report.
It helps supervisors and coordinators in adjusting and improving or transforming the organisation of the next internship.
Especially with a written report, it can be a reference to plan the next internship project better.
It is also a stimulating step in the learning process when the trainees are involved: this way he sees the full importance of the internship period.
Possible items for evaluation are:
- Was the matching of the candidate and the workplace OK?
- What remarks did the trainees give on their assessment?
- Did the internship stimulate the trainees to moments of independent learning and/or training?
- Training: are adjustments necessary in function of a better connection between the industrial sector and training (technical college, training centre) and/or education in their own region?
- The practical organisation of the internship: did anything go wrong?
- The role of the supervisor: did he meet the expectations of the sending/receiving organisation?
- The timing of the internship: when is the best period?
- The planning of the internship within the learning pathway of the candidate.
- Questions with regard to the aim of the internship activities: focus on key competences (e.g. other rhythm, more stress, social skills), focus on learning to know new equipment or train known techniques.
- Looking for new internship work places for acquiring and/or learning specific basic competences, a module, an entire training; optimise a network of internship providers.
- Points of attention: What have we learned? - What can be done better next time?
Find a balance between positive and negative, between strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats!